Catechumen Lecture Series
Catechumens are required to attend a series of lectures prior to baptism and chrismation. The first set of lectures is scheduled prior to our celebration of the Nativity of Christ, and the second series is scheduled prior to Pascha.
Attendance at the following Lectures are required:
Before the Nativity of Christ:
- The True God
- Jesus Christ the Son of God
- Repentance and Faith
- The Holy Spirit and the Saints
- The Church and the Most Holy Theotokos
- Prayer and the Holy Scripture
- Holy Baptism and Chrismation
- Holy Eucharist
- Holy Repentance and Confession
- Holy Priesthood
- Sickness and Holy Unction
- Asceticism of Marriage and Monasticism
- Death and the Mystery of the Funeral
- Service: Our Way of Life
Catechumens are required to read a series of books prior to baptism and chrismation. These books can be purchased in the Saint Andrew Bookstore. In addition, Father Josiah has written an article called Starting Down the Royal Path: How to Become an Orthodox Christian, which must be studied by Catechumens.
Starting Down the Royal Path: How to Become an Orthodox Christian by Father Josiah
- On the Priesthood by St. John Chrysostom, (1984)
- The Faith: An Orthodox Catechism by Clark Carlton, (1997) OR
- Entering the Orthodox Church or The Mind of the Church by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos
- For the Life of the World by Fr. Alexander Schmemann, (1998)
- Great Lent by Fr. Alexander Schmemann, (2001)
- The Way of the Ascetics by Tito Colliander, (1985)
- The Beginnings of a Life of Prayer by Archimandrite Irenei, (1985)
- The Way or The Truth by Clark Carlton (1997, 1999)
- The Orthodox Way by Bishop Kallistos Ware, (1998)
- The Way of a Pilgrim (many editions)
Forms and Documentation
Catechumens must complete several forms and return them to the Priest prior to baptism and chrismation. The forms can be downloaded using the links below. The forms must be completed and returned to the Priest at least one month prior to Pascha. The forms to be completed are the following:
In addition, a copy of the catechumen’s Protestant or Catholic Baptismal Certificate must be provided (for economizable candidates).
Activities to Complete Prior to Baptism and Chrismation
- Confirm Godparent(s), and confirm that Godparents have proper materials for Great Saturday.
- Visit at least two other Orthodox Churches during catechumenate.
- Prepare and make life confession. Establish regular confession practice.
- Turn in a pledge card to the parish.
- Attend Lenten Services- these are your primary preparation.
- Present yourself for Catechumen Litany in Presanctified Liturgies- Wednesdays 6pm.
- Obtain a baptismal robe. See Cindy Joris, Cynthia Wright, or Elizabeth Beck for fitting. Contact information will be provided during lecture series and can be obtained from church office.
- Give Father $10 check made to “Antiochian Archdiocese” for your baptism/chrismation certificate.
- Review the Baptism/Chrismation Service once a week during Lent. (Available as handout during lecture series and in link below.)
Baptism and Chrismation Service for Catechumens
Additional information and instructions for baptism and chrismation will be provided through the lecture series as Pascha draws near.